Founders Award—Dr. Thomas E. Musselman Award
Dr. Thomas E. Musselman Award for Service Excellence
This award will be given to an individual who has demonstrated a sustained effort in service excellence within Kappa Delta Pi and the education profession at the local, national and/or global level.
Dr. Thomas E. Musselman (1887–1976) was president of the Illinois Education Club at the time the club was exploring the possibility of merging with other clubs on a national level. He helped ensure that the ideals of coeducational membership and scholarship as an educator without regard to any racial, religious or other restrictions were upheld. By adhering to these ideals, the club did not merge with other fraternities, but became a national honorary education society, Kappa Delta Pi. Dr. Musselman went on to become an educator, organizer, businessman, and naturalist during his lifetime.
- All active members of KDP are eligible.
- Members of KDP Headquarters staff are not eligible.
- Sustained active membership in KDP for at least 10 years.
- Recipient attendance at KDP’s Convocation Closing Banquet to accept award is preferred.
- Two active members or a chapter may nominate an individual.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
The nominee must meet at least 6 of the following 9 selection criteria:
- Volunteers and participates in KDP-sponsored service programs and activities
- Volunteers and participates in other organizations’ service programs and activities
- Develops and/or implements innovative service programs and activities for KDP and for the education community
- Impacts the local, regional, national or global communities through education-focused service programs and activities
- Impacts the local, regional, national or global communities through non-education service programs and activities
- Inspires others to volunteer and participate in KDP-sponsored service programs and activities
- Inspires others to volunteer and participate in other service programs and activities
- Serves as mentor or coach to KDP members and other educators
- Acts as a consultant or advisor on the topic of service or volunteerism within education field
All submissions must be done through the online entry form. A complete online submission consists of:
- Entry form
- Two-page (maximum) narrative that supports the selection criteria from the submitter(s)
- Nominee Letter of Consent to the nomination
- Three (3) letters of support from supervisors, professional colleagues, peers, KDP members, inside or outside of education field
- Nominee’s résumé or curriculum vitae